The RCC was formed in November 1888; Governor General Lord Stanley was Patron and Sir Sandford Fleming President. The 120 male members (no ladies until 1903) rented a Quonset type building from the Rideau Skating and Curling Co. on Waller St. which provided three sheets of natural ice and sparse facilities. Annual dues were $10 and entrance for club events 25 or 50 cents. Irons were in general use, although granites were increasing. In an age of short weekends, 21 ends was normal for major events and 16 ends for club matches. It was not until January 1912 that the diameter of the house circle was reduced from 14 to 12 feet. The weather was a constant worry.
In 1916, the Waller St. premises were requisitioned for war purposes and the RCC (male members only) rented its second home: a modern three-story structure, also with three sheets of natural ice, at 96 Victoria St. approximately where the Supreme Court now stands. In 1930, the Federal Government gave notice of appropriation, thus prompting an alliance of badminton players and curlers under the name Rideau Winter Club Ltd. and an erection of a four-story building (in 1931) at 277 Laurier Ave. West. This third home boasted four sheets of artificial ice, heralding a new era for the sport. The ladies rejoined the club at this time. In 1949, this building was sold, forcing the RCC to establish a fourth home.
A plot 225 by 112 feet was purchased at Percy and Cooper, and construction began July 1949 of a one-story building with five sheets of artificial ice to accommodate members of both sexes. In 1953-54 granites officially replaced irons. In 1965, a second-story was added (mezzanine, kitchen, dining room, meeting room) and other facilities improved. For the club’s centennial in 1988, the mezzanine was lighted, carpeted and adorned with a complete series of RCC Presidents, Patrons and many other historic photographs. A display of silver recalls the fact that many of Ottawa’s premier bonspiels were originated by RCC members. Another unique feature is the display of 126 different tartans on various walls.